Thursday, March 21, 2024

For Mom

A quiet sidewalk fracture catches my mother one evening after dinner a silent summer sacrifice to the sidewalk gods of Dauphine Street

A knee makes contact
and the bleeding begins
as a straw hat tumbles to the ground
It's July of 1999 and
there aren't many people here
It's hot and exhausting
and who even comes here in July?
Besides us
An after-dinner white knight appears
another tourist
to carry the broken sacrifice
back to her hotel
while the sidewalk stain remains
My mother
is four years older then
than I am now
and my knees are terrified
of sidewalks everywhere I go
and what kind of sacrifice
they expect from me
My mother
doesn't get to take something away
without leaving something behind
In the end, how much will I owe?

~ VoodooRue, April 2023

No comments: